My online store is getting known, and I’ve got some orders every week – however people are buying ornaments only. I have collected some nice Christmas gifts too with trading with other shops, so I really cannot say a bad word about it… but somehow there is a bad taste in my mouth…
I don’t know how is going in the other countries, but if we are talking about places where we want to meet with our customers, there are no good choices:
– 1st: small craft fair with ~20-25 designers, no customers at all. Pay for the place!
– 2nd: bigger craft fair with ~60 designers, some customer, high prices!
– 3rd: ’cool’ and known carft fair with ~60 designers, extremely high prices (and they can choose who is accepted to sell there)
– 4th: find a shop, where you can hold your stuff (and you will pay for the place rent, or they will sell your stuff, and you’ll get only a half price or less…)
No good choice, right? I tried to speak with shops’ owners, but no one interested (yet), I have a small place at the most known flea market shop in Budapest, but no selling at all!
So… I was starting to think about opening a ’buy handmade!’ shop… buti f you want to start something, you’ll need a HUGE amount of money!
– Start with a company creation, hire an accountant, and maybe someone for the shop itself
– Find a good place for that (high traffic, lot of hotels, tourists, etc…)
– Pay for rent: 3 months at first, then the monthly fee
– Renovate the place
– Buy cabinets, vitrins, desks
– Buy everything else (cassa, PC, printer, softwares, etc…)
– Create webpage/facebook page, and start promoting
– then… wait … wait until your money start to increase …
I know, it’s not easy anywhere, but I really don’t see, how it’s going in other countries. As I see your blogs, and reading your forum topics, lot of the crafters are going to the craft fairs, having shops, etc… Just asking: how do you doing that? Do you have any idea, how to start??